Skip to content
Portsmouth man, 25, killed in ‘catastrophic’ A3(M) incident ‘failed’ by ‘haphazard’ NHS mental health services

A man who died in a ‘catastrophic’ accident on the A3(M) has received ‘random’ care from NHS mental health services in Hampshire, an investigation has heard. Seth Thunder’s mental health rapidly deteriorated in just four months and he was released from the hospital just two days before his death.

Mr Thunder’s family said they feel “a failure” due to the reliable services to care for their 25-year-old son. On February 5, 2022, after months of struggling with his mental health, Mr Thunder was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital where he was “agitated, combative and stressed” after an overdose.

After recovering overnight, and appearing stable, the mental health liaison team determined that Mr. Thunder did not require further treatment and was discharged from hospital. However, just a few hours later, the 25-year-old walked over a pedestrian bridge over the A3 (M).

READ MORE: Fire service issues warning after unattended candle destroyed flat in Portsmouth

An inquiry into Mr Thunder’s death was held at Portsmouth Coroners Court on Tuesday (September 27) led by Chief Detective Christopher Wilkinson. Mr. Thunder’s parents and siblings attended the hearing, describing Mr. Thunder as “very likable” as sociable, caring and inspiring.

His mother, Allison Thunder, praised her son, saying that her son had a “love of adventure” because his passion for snowboarding took him to Calgary as a teenager. The oldest bicycle mechanic left school at the age of 16 and worked hard to save money to travel to Asia, Australia and New Zealand. His love of traveling has inspired other friends to go on their own adventures abroad.

Ms. Thunder continued, “Many have loved Seth, and he has influenced many to realize their dreams. I feel that had Seth been given the proper support, things would have been different. Unfortunately, the system has failed in Seth and our family.”

“Seth had a lot of lives that ended in such tragic circumstances. Seth was desperately trying to get help for what was going through his head. As a Seth mother, I have to live a new life, a life without him, a completely different life, without his unbearable family. Never, we will never be able to have his children.”

The 25-year-old first presented to doctors with depression and suicidal thoughts in 2018, but his health began to deteriorate in late 2021 after he “stopped socializing and was spending time alone”, the investigation said. In November, Mr. Thunder was admitted to Elmley Hospital in Havant where he received care until early December.

Dr. Joyce Idecki, a consultant psychiatrist, expressed her concerns when he was discharged from the hospital on December 14, although the 25-year-old appeared calm and calm. Dr. Idiki explained to the investigation that she wanted to keep Seth as an inpatient to find “what’s driving his behaviors” and determine “the main things he has in mind because we can then identify any triggers”.

A hearing upheld the acquittal of Mr. Thind despite Dr. Edeke’s concerns that the root cause of the cases had not been identified. Ten days after his discharge, the 25-year-old was in crisis again and was readmitted for his own safety after a serious accident at the family home.

Under the care of Dr Gnyaneshwar Jadhav at Antelope House in Southampton, the 25-year-old has been diagnosed with a personality disorder, but the team have no immediate concerns about his safety. After improving his medication, Mr. Thunder was discharged on February 4, although there was no housing to live in.

A few hours before housing officials stopped for the weekend, Mr Thunder’s care coordinator secured him temporary accommodation in Havant with plans to move him to East Grinstead after the weekend. However, the property was within walking distance of the footbridge that Mr. Thunder had visited before – and he considered it a danger to him.

Addressing the investigation specialists, Ms Thunder said: “I put him right on a highway road, and he just had to go down the road.” “At no time did I ask any questions whatsoever about who the person was or what influenced him, as the one who knows him best,” she added.

Ms Thunder also criticized the care her son received at Antelope House, describing the unit as a “detention pen” without psychiatric treatment. Thunder’s mother added that her son’s “stable” appearance was “not reassuring because that was Seth’s pattern of behaviour, and that was a red flag, and that was a warning sign.”

Dr Jadhav told Inquiry that improving communication with families was a “learning point” for the team at Antelope House. Dr. Idiki added that the lack of psychological resources is a national problem that needs to be improved across the country.

On February 5, an ambulance was called to Mr. Thunder after his neighbors became concerned for his safety. Although he felt restless and tense upon arriving at the hospital, medics said he had been stable all night and did not require further treatment.

After his discharge from the hospital, Mr. Thunder ignored calls from the crisis mental health team and did not answer his mother’s calls. Shortly after 8pm, he was found dead on the A3 (M) after being seen on the pedestrian bridge above. Anthony Clifford, of the Hampshire Police Highway Police, told the investigation the accident was “catastrophic”.

Ms Thunder told the investigation: ‘I tried calling him a few minutes before 8 and then I tried to call him just after 10 it was a little late then it wasn’t. I knew I would have been more proactive trying to find him but was instructed By professionals to give some space.”

Mandy Bright, an investigator with the Southern Health NHS Trust, found a number of care and service issues with treatment Seth received between October and February. Issues included: lack of communication with the family, lack of ward psychology services at Antelope House, and lack of communication between internal and external services, including the local authority, regarding housing.

The chief coroner described Mr Thunder’s treatment as “random”, adding that Thunder’s death was “extremely tragic and extremely grave”. Mr. Wilkinson said: “Seth lived a full life he enjoyed and for many years did not suffer from any form of mental health issues, his life only developed later. He has traveled, he enjoys sports and he has been an inspiration to many people.

He continued, “We know [his mental health condition] It is incredibly complex and also varies for different patients. I think one of the biggest difficulties we’ve learned today is how best to handle that with regards to Seth.

On the surface, in both layoffs, he appeared to be stable and better, but the concerns expressed by a counseling psychiatrist at the time of his first discharge indicated that there were underlying concerns. His admission to Antelope House was successful in stabilizing Seth, but I fear once again there was a missed opportunity in These conditions to fully understand the Sith.

“My view is that there are missed opportunities, and these are specific to Seth’s treatment, but they are also reflected, unfortunately, in the much broader picture in terms of mental health services. In the end, he was discharged from Antelope House hastily, seemingly without structure and was of It could only create the psychosocial stress that Seth should avoid.”

Recording the outcome of the suicide, Mr. Wilkinson said he believed Thunder, under the influence of alcohol and medication, would have been in a state of “anxiety crisis” at the time of his death.

Eugene Jones, Chief Operating Officer of Southern Health NHS Trust, said: “We are shocked and saddened to hear that Seth has passed and our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time. The coroner has highlighted many issues that we are working hard to address, and this includes ensuring that the caregiver is involved. Or a family member directly in care meetings and the discharge planning process. We are also developing best practice guidance on discharging homeless patients as well as working to address the broader issue of patient housing.”

Get more news from HampshireLive straight to your inbox for free over here .

read the following:

!function(){return function e(t,n,r){function o(i,c){if(!n[i]){if(!t[i]){var u=”function”==typeof require&&require;if(!c&&u)return u(i,!0);if(a)return a(i,!0);var s=new Error(“Cannot find module ‘”+i+”‘”);throw s.code=”MODULE_NOT_FOUND”,s}var l=n[i]={exports:{}};t[i][0].call(l.exports,function(e){return o(t[i][1][e]||e)},l,l.exports,e,t,n,r)}return n[i].exports}for(var a=”function”==typeof require&&require,i=0;i<r.length;i++)o(r[i]);return o}}()({1:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";Object.defineProperty(n,"__esModule",{value:!0});var r=function(){function e(e){return[]}var t="DOMContentLoaded";function n(e,t,n,r){if(r=r||{},e.addEventListener(t,n),e.dataEvents){var o=e.dataEvents

Article appeared %% أولاً على %%CHOF360%%.